"Oliver DeVinck was just three months developed in his mother's womb when his mother had an accident. Gas leaked from the coal-burning stove in the kitchen. In the bedroom Catherine DeVinck lost consciousness, falling onto the bed. Oliver's father had already left for work, but at the train station he remembered something he had forgotten from home, and he returned to the house. Jose DeVinck immediately smelled the gas and quickly carried his pregnant wife outside into the fresh air. She revived quickly. When Oliver was born six months later, he appeared to be a healthy boy.
A couple of months after the birth, Catherine was playing with Oliver before an open window. She held him up to the warmth of the bright sun, enjoying the fresh air and the sun's soothing rays. Then she noticed something odd. Her baby was staring directly into the sun without blinking.
Oliver was blind. Eventually the doctors would tell the DeVincks that Oliver not only couldn't see, he also wouldn't be able to hold up his head, crawl, walk, speak, or hold anything in his hand. The gas Catherine had inhaled early in her pregnancy had affected Oliver's development. He was born with severe brain damage.
The DeVincks asked asked the examining physician what they might do for their son. The doctor suggested they place him in an institution. Jose and Catherine refused to consider such a possibility. 'He is our son' Jose said. 'We will take Oliver home.' 'Then take him home and love him' the doctor replied.
They did. For thirty-three years.
Even as an adult Oliver was the size of a ten year old. He had a large head, twisted legs and required care for all of his thirty-three years. He was fed by a family member three times a day. He was bathed and changed regularly. He was in all respects, as his younger brother Christopher would write 'one of the weakest most helpless human beings' you would ever meet.
Christopher DeVinck once asked his dad, 'how did you manage to care for Oliver for thirty-three years?'
'It was not thirty-three years' his father replied. 'I just asked myself, can I feed Oliver today? And the answer was always, yes I can."
When I found out we were having a fourth baby I struggled for faith. I didn't know how I was going to care for another baby. I failed to see how I could possibly manage a house full of loud crazy kiddos. How would I grocery shop? Would I be able to homeschool all of them? How would we go on play dates? How in the world would we pull off helping them through college?!?!?!
Whenever I would cry to my friends and family they would always assure me that God would provide. He would provide the strength, grace, wisdom, and even finances to manage the gifts that He had given me. He may not give me the faith for what we will need five years down the road, or even five days. But He promises in His word to give me exactly what I need, the moment I need it. "Give us this day our daily bread." Each day there is enough grace, enough peace, enough strength for that day. I need not worry about tomorrow, next month or even next year. I know his Grace is sufficient.
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment